Saturday, August 13, 2011

Canoeing the French Broad River


Scott was really excited to find out that you could kayak down any number of rivers close to Asheville. He and Blake conferred about a couple of options and decided that a trip down the French Broad would be the best choice. Let me go on the record now....I was not so sure about the whole thing. I don't have a very good track record with boats.


In the end, I decided that the potential fun outweighed the potential problems. So we went on a 7 mile canoe/kayak trip down the French Broad River. Scott took the kayak and Ian and I volunteered to take the canoe and Payton. First off, can I say, thank God the River was very wide. I didn't think that handling a canoe all by myself would be so difficult. I did okay as long as I didn't take a break, or get into some swirly current, or as long as the wind didn't pick up. Good Grief! After 6 miles of it, I was so freakin' tired, I was close to tears. So Scott and I switched water craft in the middle of the river. The kids were a little worried about this maneuver (and actually so was I - I think I would have switched craft a mile earlier, but I didn't want to flip one or both boats). Anyway, we managed; and I was much happier in my easily maneuverable kayak for the rest of the trip.



Despite, my little drama, the river was beautiful and the kids had a great time. We bordered Biltmore lands for a good portion of the trip. We even got to see glimpses of the great house and the Inn there on the property.

The Pruitts were old pros at canoeing and kayaking and left us in their wake (we were about 10 minutes behind). But I like to say that we just got more for our money ;)



After the river trip, we ate at 12 Bones BBQ restaurant. It was super yummy! I highly recommend their jalapeƱo cheese grits and their corn pudding.



1 comment:

Jill P said...

For the record, I thought you guys were right behind us until Sarah yells "where are the van Poppels??" :) I knew how good those cheese grits were gonna be...I was a woman on a mission!