Thursday, July 8, 2010

The new critters

Why is it that when you move to a new a place, one of the first things you notice is the critters that live there?

We have at least two rabbits that like to come visit our backyard daily. We have a couple of pear trees and some other type of fruit tree (I think it's a persimmon) in the back and the rabbits, bird and I'm sure other critters I don't know about yet, like to eat the fallen fruit. Plus we have a little lily pond that provides water for the critters and is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.









We haven't been out in the backyard too much because 1) it's been raining quite a bit, 2) when it's not raining, it's hot and humid, and 3) every time we go out for a bit, we come back in with multiple bites - including what  I believe are chigger bites.

We finally got some bug spray for the backyard. So yesterday, we finally spent a little time in the back in our blow-up pool. No bites :) me happy.

But, towards evening, I saw something scurry from the pond area to the side of the house. It was a black rat. Too big for a mouse, but too small for a opossum (I think). Then this evening I was taking some pics of the backyard for the blog and I saw something smaller scurry along the fence. I'm pretty sure it was a mouse because it was much smaller and faster than the critter I saw yesterday.

Maybe we should let Gizmo out.....

2 comments:

Jill said...

Eeeeek...rats and mice?! :) Our neighbors warned us to watch for bears!! AAGGGHHH!

Love the pics of the kids at the parade. Miss you all!

Laura said...

I know! Since we have the pond and the pear trees, hopefully they won't come inside the house looking for food and water.

Bears! You let me know how that goes :)

Miss you much!!!