Because that's exactly what we all did this morning. The roads are still FULL of ice. And here we all were, parents with our little darlings strapped in the back of our cars, driving, in my case, EXTREMELY carefully because we didn't want to slide into our nearest neighbors.
That's not water on the side of the road; that's ice.
I understand the frustration of NOT having school. Parents have to find child care or stay at home. The state mandates we have to have have 180 days of school a year. And I understand no one really wants to have make-up days. BUT, it was not very safe out there this morning. I saw several tires spinning because they had no traction.
My front walk.
I drove Payton to school this morning because I didn't want to have to navigate a quarter of a mile of icy sidewalks. It would have taken us at least 15 minutes to get to school when it normally takes us 5 - and it's 13 degrees outside, with a wind chill of 4!
So, why did Plano ISD not at least have a 2 hour delay? Is it because the roads and sidewalks wouldn't have been any better at 9:45 than 7:45am? I think it would have been a little better.
Road to Payton's school (and sidewalk).
But, maybe I'm just from south Texas and just haven't been seasoned enough for these inclemate weather conditions. Maybe, there were no accidents today due to the icy roads. Maybe there were no falls because of icy sidewalks. Maybe....
But was it worth risking that possibility?
No comments:
Post a Comment