Monday, March 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Ian!

My baby boy is 5 years old! He's not a baby anymore :( but he is a very sweet, energetic little man - who loves sword fights, shooting toy guns, and building Legos!

Ian decided he wanted to have a Knight themed party with a castle cake. (This will be my third castle cake....but more on that later:)

Daddy and I decided to have the party at Lifetime Fitness, so we wouldn't have to entertain 12 children for a couple of hours. It was very nice to have 'wranglers' corral Ian's friends for games and activities. They jumped around in a bouncy house first. Then they played indoor soccer,



rolled around on scooters,



 and finally, played indoor hockey.



Everyone was worn out and ready for cake and pizza at the end.

We trekked upstairs to a conference room for the food and candle lighting.


It was a nice way to celebrate Ian's 5th!


And now a word about the cake.....

Scott and I thought that we should use some Lego knights to help decorate the cake. Well, then I thought it might be cool if we made the turrets and a draw bridge out of Legos. So, Scott got involved in the creation of the cake. At first, we had a little difficulty seeing eye to eye. But after a few negotiations, we came to a compromise :)

First, Scott built the drawbridge and I was a little taken aback by it....because it was huge! I got him to scale it back a bit, but it was still a little big. So, the platform was built.


This thing was pretty sweet. The whole top slides off to reveal a lower level where the knights dwell.



The top is held in place by the turrets which are also removable so that I could put the cake on top of the platform.


I used 2 - 9x13" cakes, 2 - 8x8" cakes, and half a loaf pan. It took 4 boxes of cake mix and about 10 cups of icing. 


 The grey icing was a little frustrating because it took a ton of it to get a dark grey that matched the Legos. I thought I had the color just right, and then the icing kept turning darker and darker as time went on. By the time we served the cake, it looked purple! At least we had already taken all our pictures by then :)




1 comment:

Jill P said...

Happy Birthday Ian!!