On Sunday morning at church, both kids declared that they really wanted to have a friend over. I tried to explain to them that lots of people have plans and that you can't expect to have a play date on-demand (so to speak). So we talked about who they wanted to have over and I told them I would contact mothers and try to plan on a Friday afternoon play date. Unfortunately Payton's didn't work out, but Ian ended up having two boys from his school over this afternoon.
I picked up all three boys at carpool. As soon as they were in the house, they were off like a shot. Ian's friends had never been here, so Ian gave them the whole tour. They ended up in Ian's room...on the (in)famous slide/bookcase (please see, 'Yup, it's broken', June 2011; The Bookcase, Aug. 2009). And I knew this because I heard a big kaboom and then crying. As I'm flying up the stairs two at a time, I'm dreading the worst and hoping for the best. One of Ian's friends was laying on the floor crying and Ian and his other friend were trying to help the hurt boy. I asked what happened and they said he jumped off the edge towards the bed. (you'd think Ian would learn after 'Yup, it's broken'!)
I calmed the boy down. This is when I told them (again actually) 1. No jumping and 2. No running. It didn't take long and hurt boy was ready to go at it again.
Everything seemed ok for about 10 minutes and then another boom, and TWO boys were crying! Ian wasn't one of them. Ian's two friends had come around a corner, going opposite directions, and bumped heads. When I got to them, they were sitting on the floor holding their heads, crying.
I felt horrible. Maybe I shouldn't have invited both of them over. Maybe the boys couldn't handle all the excitement. That's when, I decided I had to turn into Lay Down the Law Mommy.
I reiterated the rules. And told them if they get hurt again, their Mommies probably won't let them come over again.
It helped...for the most part. There were no more incidents...whew! But I was on edge the rest of the play date. Ian had a great time, and the boys were not ready to go when the play date was over. But, I don't know if I want to handle 3 rowdy 5 year old boys anytime soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment