I knew there was a chance of thunderstorms, but I didn't realize there was going to be such a severe weather threat. I'm learning that when it comes to North Texas weather, expect the unexpected.
I took Payton out of school early because the two storm cells that were moving in our direction were going to hit us about the time school was going to let out. As I walked out of the school, the first siren went off. Payton and I ran to the car and drove the 30 seconds home. The kids and I sheltered in our downstairs half bathroom. I put pillows in there, made the kids keep their shoes on (only because I heard a weather man say to do so right before I got Payton), and we had our iPad and my phone. I monitored the weather while the kids played games. Scott was at the hospital working.
The kids were pretty scared. Payton kept saying, 'I can't calm down, Mommy.' Ian was actually more calm than Payton this time around in the bathroom. I tried to reassure the kids that there wasn't anything more that we could do. We were in the safest part of the house. I told them that the most we could do is pray. So the kids wanted to pray. We prayed for our safety and the safety of everyone affected by the storm. After about an hour in the bathroom, our warnings expired, and we got out.
We are very lucky that we didn't the worst of it. We had two tornado warnings and a severe thunderstorm warning. We just had the electricity flicker, high wind, and some pea size hail.
When you look at the map of where the tornadoes hit and damage occurred, we were in the middle of the two paths.
Before we went to bed, we thanked God for everyone being safe. So far there haven't been any fatalities reported and we pray that it remains so.
No comments:
Post a Comment