Tuesday, August 28, 2012

School: Day 2

So yesterday, there were no tears. My eyes got a little moist when I saw a mom at the gym with a one year old on her hip. It made me remember how sweet the kids were at that age And then I remembered how much they really depend on you ALL the time also, and my eyes dried up pretty quickly.

 

But, it is a little sad when your youngest goes off to kindergarten. It's the end of one stage of their life and the beginning of another.


 

Well, day 2 of school, parents aren't allowed to walk their kids down the hall. I should have prepared Ian better for this. We get to the doors to the school and I tell Ian I can't go in. All of a sudden, his eyes become puppy dog eyes. They start to well up with tears, and his lower lip curls out a little and begins to quiver. And what do I do? It's like I become his mirror image. I'm trying not to cry. Instead, I try to start to reassure him.

 

Payton doesn't even miss a beat. She's right there filling her role as big sister. She says, 'Don't worry Ian. I'll walk you to your class.'

 

I explained to Ian that they won't let me go in, and that he's a big boy and can do it by himself. Meanwhile Payton is still reassuring him that she'll make sure he's ok. Ian's not quite so happy about it, but....

 

Ian Finally goes along with the plan, and off they go through the doors....with Payton's hand on Ian's shoulder ushering him along.

 

Whew! Thank you Payton for helping Ian and I get through this morning without the a cry-fest.

No comments: