Thursday, September 27, 2012

My knee

 

My knee....

Picture of my torn ACL

On September 5, Scott and I were playing a little one on one basketball game at the gym. I went up for a rebound and was going to put it right back up, but my knee didn't like the way came down and twisted. I ended up on the floor writhing in pain for a minute or two:( After the initial pain subsided, I could walk, but knew I had seriously done something to my right knee. We showered and came home so I could ice it. When I stepped out of the car and my knee slid out and back in, I was pretty certain I had torn my ACL....again. You see, 15 years ago, I was skiing (with Scott) caught my ski in a mogul and severed my left ACL. So, the injury occurred on a Wednesday. Friday, I saw the orthopedic doctor. Saturday, I had an MRI. On Monday, I had my follow appointment which confirmed what I had thought - complete ACL tear with a meniscus tear as well! My doctor said I had to gain my range of. Motion back and the swelling had to go down before he could operate. And he suggested that I have an allograft because for the 30 and 40 year old crowd ;) recovery is easier with an allograft.

 

So I went to pre-hab - physical therapy before surgery - so my knee would be ready for the new ligament.i only went once to get a regiment of exercises and then practiced them over the next two weeks.

 

Day of surgery was Tuesday, Sept. 25. The surgeon was pleased with how it went. I took quite a while to recover from the general anesthesia....it always makes me nauseous. And I don't remember much else from that day because I couldn't keep my eyes open! I slept we'll even though I was in a Continuous Passive Motion Machine all night.

 

I am now sitting in my CPM machine, icing my knee. Scott has been a trooper taking care of me and the kids :) And Payton and Ian have been trying to fetch things for me. I am very appreciative of all my friends who have offered much help and have been very supportive.

Hopefully I will be rid of my crutches in a couple of weeks and on the long road to recovery.....it'll be 9 months before I'm cleared to run or jump again.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hoppefully your healthy again...