Saturday, December 19, 2009

Payton's School Christmas Program





Thursday night, Payton's class and the preschool class at St. John's put on their annual Christmas program. This program was adorable and had everything. There was Mary, Joseph, wise men, a sheep, a donkey, a dove, a host of angels, the star, and a bell. Payton was an angel with a speaking part. All of the pre-K had speaking parts. We have been practicing Payton's part for a couple of weeks, usually in the car on the way to school.


Pause for side note about Ian: After about a week of practicing, I brought the subject up at dinner so that Daddy could hear Payton say her lines. At this point, I would start it. I said, "I am...." and then Ian spoke up, 'the angle from above!' Payton sat quietly..... Go Ian!


But Payton did know her lines. She had repeated them to me several times - 'I am the angel from above. I've come to tell of a baby and God's love.' During the program, she said all the words, but what the audience heard was a bit of a jumbled mess.

But let's back up a little. Before the three angels were to speak, the congregations sang a song. When the song was over, evidently the angels did not know their cue. We were in the front row, so we saw the whole the happen. The teachers started whispering, 'Angels.' Then it was, 'Angels!' Then it was a whispered shout, 'ANGELS!' Payton was the leader of the angels and while the whisper-shouting was taking place, I think she was staring at the ceiling. She finally came out of her stupor and walked up front to the microphone with two other angels in tow.
Ian was good through the program, but was getting very antsy towards the end. He didn't get a nap.


We had a dessert reception afterwards and the kids presented the parents with the gifts that they had made for Christmas. Payton made a plate with a wreath made from her hand prints. We also got a trio of Christmas ornaments that she made. Oh, and a nativity place mat. (I can't believe I almost forgot that ;)

No comments: