Friday, December 30, 2011

The Nutcracker

This was our first year in the Nutcracker ballet. I had no idea what we were getting ourselves into when Payton said she wanted to audition for it. I felt like we lost most of the first week of our Christmas break doing the Nutcracker. It was A LOT of work, but, I think, worth it. The production put on by the Collin County Ballet Theater was first class. The professional dancers and older dancers were really friendly and great to the little cast members. Payton got to be part of a large production and got to see what all the hard work it involves in a very family friendly environment. The moms ran the backstage and the taking care of the children while they got dressed, waited, and waited some more for their turn. Payton got to know some of the older girls who played the angels, mice bakers and petit fleurs. Payton never complained even though she had three dress rehearsals and four performances. We had to start getting her hair fixed at the house, about 45 minutes before we were going to leave because it took me so long to get her hair up in a sleek bun and get her makeup on. Then we had to get to the theaters at least 30 minutes before call times and many times an hour before. Then Payton had to usually wait for an hour and a half till it was her turn on stage. Then on stage, she sat for most of the time she was there. She danced for a minute and then she was off.
The costumes were beautiful. The orchestra and choir added to the overall enchantment of the ballet. Oma, Opa, Grandma and Grandpa all came up to see one of the performances. Ian sat riveted to the performance, especially during the first act. Afterwards he said, 'that was awesome!' We gave Payton flowers after the performance that all the family attended. She said, 'Mommy, getting the flowers makes me feel like what I did was special' :) And it was. I was a proud of how dedicated and patient Payton was through the whole process.


So, I guess if she wants to try out to be an angel next year, I won't protest. About a week after her last performance we were talking about her role and that next year she would be cast as an angel, then a rat, then a baker, and so on. Then Payton said, 'And one day I want to be the only one...where there is no one playing that part, but me.' I said, 'You mean you want a solo role?' She said, 'Yeah, like Clara.' ......oh, boy, we'll see :)

No comments: