Last night, we had a pretty hard freeze and I fear the days of the garden are over until spring. I pulled up the rest of the carrots and picked my one cabbage that was semi-ready. The cabbage was frozen, but I'm hoping it will be okay to saute later for supper. Some of the carrots are so beautiful - nothing like the first carrot we pulled back in mid-October (that one was pretty funny looking). My first garden was such a great experience. It brought lots of things to talk about with the kids, lots of bugs, lots of questions, and lots of joy. We might have to make it a bit bigger in the spring.
The colder weather has taken a little while to get used to. Yesterday, we had a play date at a park at 3:30 pm. I bundled the kids up when we got there with the heavy coats, hats and gloves/mittens. At first Payton was a little reluctant, but once she started running around with her friends she was fine. Ian surprised me; he kept his mittens on even though I could never get his thumb in the right place. My friend, Jill, brought me some hot chocolate which made it a little better for me. But after about 40 minutes, Payton said, 'I'm ready to go.' and Ian followed close behind. I really can't blame them. I was wearing my warmest wool socks and my feet were still cold. We got in the car and the thermometer read 39 F! Yikes. The one good thing from it being cold this early in the winter season, is that maybe it will increase our chances of seeing snow.
Since we have been house bound a little more, we've been running around in our family room more (with the help of the Laurie Berkner Band).
No comments:
Post a Comment