
Yesterday after naps, Ian started dragging his left leg a little. Earlier in the day, he had been jumping off my STEP (used for aerobics). The kids love jumping from it or pretending it's a balance beam. So, when he started limping I though that maybe he landed funny on his foot or injured it somehow while jumping. We had a play date scheduled at a park close by with one of Payton's classmates. We went to it and I just kept an eye on him. He was never fussy and played just fine, but the limp started getting a little worse. I started to get a little worried. It was 4:30 and I didn't want to go to the ER, so I called our pediatrician and they have after hours clinic on Fridays. They said they could get us in at 5:15, so we grabbed some Chik Fil-A and headed to the Drs office. I figured content kids versus hungry kids would be easier to manage considering the last visit to the doctor.
We didn't see our regular doctor, but the man we saw was very nice. Unfortunately, Ian didn't think so. A nurse and I had to hold Ian down while the doctor moved his legs around. Evidently Ian is very strong for his age. Then we had him walk for us. Of course, the limp wasn't there, but he was so upset - bright red face and screaming - that whatever was ailing him, he overcame briefly. The Dr. said that he could have pulled something and to keep an eye on it. Ian's had a cold for the last week, so while we were there I had him look in Ian's ears, chest, and throat. Everything checked out fine. On the way down the hall to leave, I let Ian walk and his limp was very evident. The Dr. stopped me and we talked a little more. He thinks that Ian has hip synovitis which can occur in young children who have had a cold or viral infection. Supposedly, hip synovitis can come on quickly and take several days to go away. In the mean time, we're keeping an eye on him to make sure it doesn't get worse or he gets a fever.
I was pretty worried when I went to bed last night and checked on Ian several times throughout the night, but there was/is nothing we can do. He woke up with the same limp, not worse, not really better, just the same. He's been fine today, not fussy, playing well and pretty happy as usual.



We went out to Salem Lake because it was a beautiful day and Scott has never been out there. We walked for about a mile and a half along the lake to a small bridge and creek and then turned around. Payton walked for most of it. Ian walked a little, rode a little and was carried a little. He was getting so tired by the end of the walk, he almost fell over in the wagon asleep, so I picked him up and carried him. The leaves are past their peak here. I think it's still beautiful, but also a little sad. Soon everything will be brown and dead :(

2 comments:
Well, I hope you are able to keep enjoying your walks through the brown, dead woods with your disabled child...
I love fall leaves; wish I was there!
I've never been in your house. But I am of the oppinion that last picture should be on your wall.
Very majestic
Post a Comment