Saturday, June 27, 2009

Beech Mountain

Our friends Robyn and Bill invited us to go up to their family's cabin up on Beech Mountain. It was a mom-and-kids getaway in the middle of the week. We left Wednesday after the gym and came back after lunch on Friday. It was beautiful up there, not to mention at least 10 degrees cooler than Winston-Salem. Wednesday afternoon we went to a pool up there.

Thursday we checked out an animal rescue center next to Buckeye Lake. The rescue center had raccoons, rabbits, a bobcat, two coatimundi, a guinea pig, and two hybrid wolves. It was an interesting place. I will say this, I don't ever want to run into a wolf, hybrid or otherwise. We found a hike next to the lake and explored a little bit. The kids took a little time to make faces for me (below). We didn't get to go too far because it was too close to lunch time, but it was beautiful.

Thursday afternoon we went to the little mountain town of Banner Elk to play at a playground right next to a creek. The kids had a great time jumping into the creek and splashing around. Afterwards, we had some ice cream at a quaint little shop.
Friday, we went to coffee lake which has a quarter mile trail around it. The kids played in a rocky sand bar while Robyn and I took turns running.
I think the kids really enjoyed being up in the mountains doing all the outdoors-ey things, but they were ready to be home. They've been away for a lot of the month.

Saturday, we had to do grocery shopping (I've been putting it off considering we've been traveling so much). This afternoon, we hung out by the pool. No one took a nap today, so the kids were pretty tired by bedtime.


No comments: