This past weekend was Catherine's wedding in Augusta, Ga. She and I attended Rice together. When I got the save the date card, I was supper excited for this weekend to come around. Catherine is one of those special friends that you can not talk to for months at a time, but pick right back up like it was yesterday.
So Friday, Scott got home around 3 pm and I headed out. It's a 4 hour drive to Augusta. I stayed with another grad school friend, Kim, at the Marriott downtown which is right by the Savanna River. Of course, no road trip would be complete without a minor detour. When I got close to Augusta, Google maps said I needed to take exit 3. Unfortunately, for me, there was construction and there was no exit 3. When I got to exit 1, I pulled over and called my good friend Jill, who used to live in Augusta. She was so nice as to stay on the phone and navigate me to my hotel.
Kim was already there (in her PJs!), but I persuaded her to get dressed so that we could go have dessert at the Boll Weevil Cafe. I had a huge (foot tall) slice of chocolate cake and Kim had the berry tart. Both were very yummy - I ate on mine for the next two days.
Catherine's wedding was at 11 am on Saturday. We were almost late, but it wasn't our fault. There just happened to be a breast cancer walk going on right outside our hotel. The walkers were not too pleased when we had to navigate through the parade.
Everything was simple and very elegant. The ceremony was over at 11:17 am - short and sweet.
The reception was at the Marbury Center which is a converted old fire station. It was pretty cool. The food was very southern. There were cheese straws, ham biscuits and a cheese tray for appetizer. The lunch was BBQ chicken breast, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, asparagus, rolls and shrimp grits. The biggest surprise was the shrimp grits - they were hmmmm scrumptious!
After the reception, Kim and I went back to the hotel for a nap. We met Catherine and her husband and other friends out Saturday night at the Pizza Joint. It was a great opportunity to catch up and hang out with Kim and Catherine. And it was a nice little get-away for Mommy.
I got home Sunday at 2:30 pm. When I called Scott and told him I was on my way home he sounded so relieved. The kids were giving him the full court press Sunday morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment