The Health Department had flu vaccinations on Tuesday. They were open to the public and started at 1 pm. Scott and I had been on the fence as to how proactive we were going to be about getting the vaccine. Then, on Monday, Scott attended a lecture at the hospital by an infectious disease doctor and concluded that we should get the kids vaccinated as soon as possible.
Thus, I took Payton out of school about a half hour early, packed a lunch, and arrived at the health dept. at about 11:30 am. There was already a line, but it wasn't too bad yet (maybe 50 in front of us).
Ian was asleep on my shoulder. I brought the diaper bag and my big purse with our lunch and snacks. Payton ate and lounged around while Ian slept for the first 30-40 minutes. A very nice man was in line behind us. He was saving a place for a 7 year old girl and her grandmother. We struck up a nice conversation which made the time pass pretty easily.
Ian woke up, ate a little and then the little girl arrived. Payton found a new friend right away. They kept each other busy and I kept Ian busy until we started moving.
One the line started moving, it still took us 50 minutes till the kids got their vaccines. They both got the spray and didn't mind a bit. It was so much easier than a shot - no crying kids.
We were back in the car at 2 pm. I was pretty tired, but the kids were great. At least the weather was beautiful - 55 and sunny.
No comments:
Post a Comment