Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rules for Summer

Last Tuesday was the first day the kids were home with me for the Summer.

At breakfast I decided to lay down the some ground rules.

Just two simple ones.

Rule #1 - No whining.

This rule seems pretty simple, but for my 6 and 4 year old, this is very difficult to put into practice.

Rule #2 - Be Nice!

I like this rule because it encompasses many things. For example, it includes 1. talking out little problems between the kids instead of yelling for Mommy to solve everything; and 2. asking nicely for things, especially if it's a toy. This rule mainly deals with using words nicely and using manners.

I liked my rules. I made the kids repeat the rules to me several times, until I was sure they knew them.

So far, they are working pretty well.

But, sneaky little Ian...at the dinner table a couple of nights after I introduced the Rules said, 'Mommy, we forgot rule #3.' I asked, 'You think we need another rule?' He said, 'uh, huh.' So I asked what he thought Rule #3 should be. And he said, 'Love each other.'

Sigh. You're right Ian. Maybe we should move that to Rule #1.

No comments: