Friday, November 14, 2008

Hand Saw and Pumpkins - Why?



For about the last week, every time I see the 2 pie pumpkins on my front step, I've been thinking about cooking them up to make pumpkin puree. My mom always says that it's so much better than the canned stuff and I figure it would be something the kids and I could do together. So, for whatever reason, tonight was The Night for cooking the pumpkins. I bring the pumpkins in from outside and the tirade of questions from Payton starts,

'What are you going to do with those?
'We are going to cook them.
'Why?'
You have to cook the pumpkin in order to use it to make pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread and other recipes.
'Why?'
Because mommy wants to make yummy things with the pumpkins.
'Why?'

I know that this is normal for this age, but sometimes the questions are too much.

I grab the biggest, heaviest knife I own to try to cut the pumpkins in half. The blade barely scratches the surface. Then I think, maybe I can use our electric knife. Yeah, no. That doesn't any better than the first knife. Then I try to hack it a couple of times with the biggest, heaviest knife. It works, kinda. But I keep thinking, I wish I had a hatchet.

During this whole process, Miss Questions continues:

'Mom, what are you doing?'
I'm trying to cut open the pumpkin.
'Why?'
To get the seeds out.
'Why?'
So I can cook the pumpkin. I can't cook it with the seeds in.
'Why?'
Because you can't! Payton, stand back! (As I begin the hacking.)
'I want to see.'
Payton, I don't want you to get hurt in case this knife goes flying.
'Why?'

Ian, in the meantime, is playing with his trains.

I give up on the knives, but don't want to give up on the project (that would be sending the wrong message to Payton). So I call my parents because they always seem to have good practical advice in these types of situations. It doesn't take long for them to assess the situation and Dad had the idea of using a hand saw. He said it works well when he saws turkeys in half when he wants to smoke them. If the saw is good enough for turkeys, why not a pumpkin or two.

I get the kids to follow me to the garage, pumpkins in had. The kids are a little confused, especially Payton, but she drops the questions for a while while she rides her bicycle around the garage. Ian is equally entertained by a tricycle, so I lay out some paper towels and start sawing away. This method actually works quite well (don't worry Scott, I washed the saw when I was done).

The rest of the preparations for cooking the pumpkin are pretty easy: scrape out the seeds and pumpkin guts and then roast on a cookie sheet, with a little water, covered in Al foil. This sounds easy and I know it is, but it always takes longer than you anticipate. Pumpkin guts are sometimes not so easy to remove and somehow I always forget this from one year to the next. Of course, the kids had lost all interest in anything I was doing at this point. Daddy was on-call this evening and didn't get to help with any of the festivities. Therefore, they wanted me to them entertained which made things take a bit longer.

Oh well, the pumpkins are cooked and pureed. I have 6 cups of beautiful yellow, pumpkin puree that I will make a yummy pumpkin pie with and maybe some pumpkin bars :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ive made pumpkin pie from scratch, but never made a puree, always just squeezed it in a cheese cloth to remove water. Is this your project this year? I was thinking of tackling gnocci in cream sauce.

if payton has a question day and you cant stand it anymore, put her on the phone. I love that game!

p.s. I love how the chemist in you abbreviated aluminum. :)

Laura said...

I guess it's my Mom's fault that I always feel the need to butcher a pumpkin - it does make really good pumpkin things. Gnocci sounds yummy. How about pumpkin gnocci?

I will get Payton on a direct line to you when it happens again :)

Have to use the chemistry somewhere ;)

The Hawg said...

Hey sis, might want to start working out a little more at the gym or buy a better set of knives. Love ya.

Nels said...

You should definitely make pumpkin gnocchi. That sounds pretty darn good. Uhmm...can you do that?

I would do it up with some roast duck and sauteed mushrooms. Celebrate Fall.

I am hungry.

Laura said...

I think I've either seen a recipe for pumpkin gnocci or seen it Food Network. It does sound yummy, huh?

Hmm, I've never roasted a duck before....

Nels said...

Found a recipe that looks tasty. Can I come out for this when you make it?

Pumpkin, brown butter and a hint of nutmeg make this dish incredibly warm and tasty with walnuts serving as a perfect texture for the gnocchi.

Pumpkin Gnocchi with Walnut Brown Butter Sauce

1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon each: salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1/4 teaspoon each: salt and pepper
1/2 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese

In large bowl, combine pumpkin and butter; add flour, yolk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Knead into soft dough (if necessary, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time); divide into 4 sections. On floured surface, roll dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut into 3/4-inch pieces, rolling each piece against the tines of a fork to create ridges. Repeat with remaining dough.
In large pot, bring 6 cups salted water to boil. Cook gnocchi in 2 batches; dropping into water and cooking 2 minutes or until pieces float. Remove with slotted spoon to warmed bowl.
Meanwhile, in skillet, melt butter over medium heat, cooking until it just starts to deepen in color. Add walnuts, sage, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute more. Drizzle walnut butter over gnocchi and top with shaved Parmesan.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Laura said...

YUM-O. That sounds great. Sure, come on out and visit anytime and I'll make them for you!