Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Cast

We went to the orthopedic doctor yesterday and Ian got a cast. He chose a lime green one - to match his shoes.

The break on his radius is a small one, but it will still take 6-8 weeks to heal. He'll have to wear the cast for 3 weeks. Then he'll get it X-rayed again and get a removable splint. While he's in the cast, he cannot get it wet. If he gets sweaty, I'm suppose to use a cool hair dryer to dry it. The techs giving Ian the cast were trying to tell me horror stories about skin getting wet, infected, and peeling off as the cast is removed. Thus, I'm a little paranoid.

Plus, whenever he eats, he still uses his casted-hand. That white stuff on his cast appears to be some type of cotton wrap. Picking up peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, picking up cut strawberries, bananas, sausage - you name it - comes in very close proximity to this white, absorbent material. Another reason for me to become a little paranoid.

I took a garden glove today and cut off the finger tips that Ian is forced to wear while consuming food :)

2 comments:

Tina said...

I came across your bolg tonight and read that your son broke his arm :( sorry that happened. It is swim season and when my son broke his arm ( 3 different times) 1. I was able to request a water proof cast. I am surprised it wasn't offered to you because of his age. 2. I went on line and found a water proof cast cover because the doctors office had run out of the water proof cast. It cost around $40 but it was so worth it. He was able to shower everyday and swim :) hope this helps

Laura said...

Thanks for the info! It would be nice to not have to worry about water.