Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Gardening



We have been gardening - mainly because I need something to do while the kids play in the sandbox or water in the backyard. We have had one plot of garden that I started a couple of weeks after we got here. But then I read in the paper, it was time to plant a winter garden. So I chopped up a patch of weeds in our backyard and made it into little garden #2. We've planted zuchini, eggplant, tomatoes, red peppers, peas, arugala, red lettuce, carrots, and yellow squash. Payton helped some with the planting and she helped make the garden tags. Ian helped by stepping all over the garden (to pat down the seeds, of course). It will be a miracle if we get anything because we seem to have ants and beetles everywhere. I haven't looked or figured out what to do about them yet.


We also have found wild strawberries in the backyard. Unfortunately they are tiny. We picked them to show daddy. I took a picture of them and then Payton wanted to take a picture of them.

3 comments:

The Hawg said...

Hey sis, usually the ant and beetles won't hurt your seeds coming up. The ants won't hurt your crop either. Not sure what type of beetles you have. To gove things some protection, use some diatomaceous earth. It helps with ants and beetles and is organic and relatively cheap. Good luck!

Laura said...

Thanks for the advice. Where can I get the diatomaceous earth?

The Hawg said...

You can look at a garden center that carries DE, or you can even get it where they sell swimming pool equipment and supplies. Just be careful broadcasting it around. You don't want to sniff too much of it.