Friday, September 12, 2008

Worm War! IKE!




My broccoli and cabbage are being attacked! - and I have declared war on the worms! Little green worms that are very well camouflaged are eating holes in my beautiful plants. I think I squashed about 15 of them today during the kids' nap tiems. Anyone know of something I can do to get rid of them besides having to flick them off the plants with a stick and squash them with my foot (shoed foot, of course).




On to more dire news, I've been talking to my parents and some friends in Texas. Everyone is bracing themselves for Ike. My dad boarded up the house and is going over to my Grandma's house to hang out this afternoon and maybe spend the night with her. They are expected to get rain and wind, but nothing like what Galveston is already getting. My mom is with Winnie and Laird in El Campo, which is about 35 miles from the coast as the crow flies. Again they won't get the worst of it. Kevin and family are sheltering in their house in Cat Spring for the storm. They are quite a ways inland, but still expected to get wind gusts probably close to 70 mph and they couldn't board up because they have an all brick house. Scott's parents are probably in Ashland, Kentucky by now. They've been on the road since yesterday, traveling to Michele's 50th high school reunion. I think Scott and I are most worried about Kate, Jessie and Kennedy. Their apartment is in an area that could flood in Houston. But they are going to Jesse's parents home outside of Brookshire. They should be OK there. I think everyone will be fine, but I know that there will be alot of damage to clean up afterwards. Hang in there guys and stay safe!



Ian only took an hour nap today and Payton didn't take one, so everyone is a bit edgy and grumpy. Fun times for Mommy and Daddy :) Don't they look tired. I was blogging and when I heard from upstairs from Scott, 'Payton, NO! You DO NOT draw on Ian!' When Payton hasn't had enough sleep, she always seems to be a little more mischievous. I just had to grin. I was going to let Scott handle everything, until he called to me to bring the camera.

1 comment:

The Hawg said...

Hey Sis, look for an insecticide that has BT in it. Usually, they are really good at controlling worms, and they are, for the most part, organic.