Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow, snow, and snow again!


This is the third time we've had snow this winter and it tops the other two times by 4 inches. Yep, we had 5 inches of accumulated snow and it looked beautiful this morning. It rained most of yesterday with the temperature hovering around 33 degrees. Then it started snowing last night about 8 pm and ended sometime early this morning. It was a very wet, slushy snow. There were piles of snow perched on the branches of the trees. Snow stuck to the side of the tree and icicles on the rail of the deck. We woke up to our own winter wonderland. I wasn't the only one snapping pictures before dawn. Down the street was a neighbor in his robe, bare ankled and clutching his camera.





Daddy had a hard decision this morning: whether to brave the roads or not. Since we had rain yesterday and the snow was so wet, the road conditions were pretty bad this morning. Scott started a new rotation today which is an elective (not as demanding or necessary for him to be there). Plus, he didn't have to be at the hospital til 8:30 am. He wanted to stay and play in the snow with the kids, and we aren't too fond of driving in icy conditions (we grew up in TX and lived in Phoenix for the past 6 years!) So there was definitely a debate going on between us - stay or go, stay or go. In the end, when we saw the paper delivery guy, we knew that the Doctor didn't really have much of a choice. Off Scott went down the hill and to work. He said it was pretty slippery the whole way there.

I bundled the kids up to go play outside. This is such a production. On a suggestion from my Aunt Dori, I layered the kids hands with socks, plastic bags and then socks. This seemed to REALLY disturb the kids at first. Once we outside, they seemed to have a great time until they fell down one too many times. Then they were cold. Of course, Payton was the most vocal about being cold and we went back inside. The first outing lasted about 7 minutes. Just about the same amount of time it took to get them ready.




The second time lasted longer. We went out just before nap time and the kids 'helped' me shovel off the driveway. (There is actually a little shovel in Ian's hand.) They had a blast. I didn't do the plastic bags this time and they didn't seem to mind that they were picking up (sometimes dripping) wet snow.

3 comments:

Nels said...

I know this is coming from the "privleged" position of growing up in Minnesota, but that was the most pathetic story I have ever heard. Ever. :)

Laura said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Remember we grew up in TX and spent the last 6 years in Phoenix! Snow (and ice) is a BIG DEAL!

Nels said...

I just noticed something. You videotaped your daughter crying and posted it on the internet. I know your type. You sure the crying was from the cold and not you throwing a snowball at her head? I know sometimes that's fun too. :)