I don't think I expected it to be this cold. I guess I knew in the back of my mind that it would be colder here in North Carolina - the state does have the word North in it even though everyone here considers themselves 'the South'. I understand the history behind this, but I still find it ironic. So I knew it was going to be colder than Phoenix. That's a given; most places are colder than Phoenix. BUT, this coming week the highs are going to be in the 50s and the lows are in the lower 30s. It's the last week in October. What is it going to be like in December and January? Anyway, I don't think I'm ready for this winter, especially mentally. Scott keeps reminding me to pick up some ice scrapers :(
Sunday, we became members of Augsburg Lutheran Church. It was founded in 1891 and is a beautiful old building with stained glass everywhere. The first time Scott and I went to church there, we just knew that's where we would worship while we lived here. Payton goes to Sunday school and Ian goes to the nursery, so I'm free to go to a Bible study if I want. Anyway, as part of our welcoming package, we received a book of the history of Augsburg. I perused it a little and found something quite interesting considering the state of our economy right now. An exerpt from the book: In 1893 when the church was building it's first church building, 'there was a wave of transportion strikes accross the country which caused a sudden and severe financial panic. The stock market collapsed, most securities declined precipitously in value, and people lost fortunes even more quickly than they had acquired them. Everywhere business activity declined as a result of a loss of confidence in the government and its ability to control the strikes. In Winston, property values sank to a quarter of their previous value.' Of course, eventually everything go back on track again. Augsburg finished it's church, grew, and prospered despite its shakey beginnings.
No comments:
Post a Comment