Sunday, October 5, 2008

You might be a redneck if....



The Dixie Classic Fair (county fair) is in town this week, and I heard from one of the moms at Payton's school that IT is the place to be. So, Saturday late afternoon we took the kids. I haven't been to a county fair since high school was looking forward to it. The kids were in awe at all the people, the rides, the sights, the sounds, the animals and the gourds. I couldn't believe all the different contests they had. There was, of course, the lambs, rabbits, swine, cakes, and vegetable contests. But then there was also photography, quilting, adult arts and crafts, and, my favorite, the pumpkin, apple and gourd decorating contest. I think we'll have to enter something next year :)



Payton rode a couple of rides. She rode the bee ride by herself which just went around and around in circles. Then she rode the caterpillar roller coaster ride with Daddy which went around and around in circles. I don't know which one had more fun. We were going to stay for the destruction derby, but decided that the kids would be took exhausted for any of us to enjoy it.

Today we went to church and then ate out at a local restaurant named Cagney's. It had a sign on the the door that said 'No smoking today!' The place was packed with the after church crowd. Scott and I were a good 25 years below the average age of most of the people there. They serve down home southern cooking, and our waitress called us everything from 'baby' to 'sweetheart' every time she talked to us. It was great!



Then this afternoon, I needed to vacuum which upsets Ian. So, Scott took the kids outside to play. I happened to catch a glimpse of them through the window and couldn't believe my eyes. Scott had made a slip-n-slide out of our tarp, and he and the kids were sliding down our little hill. I couldn't resist the urge to try it. It was actually pretty fun. I'm surprised no one got hurt. Everyone just got a little muddy.

No comments: