Tuesday, October 7, 2008

O Broccoli, O Broccoli...

O how I love thee broccoli. I cut my first broccoli from the garden and it was outstandingly delicious! Ian agreed. He ate it whole heartedly. Scott thought it tasted too garden-y. His loss, my gain. When I tasted it, just gently steamed to perfection, it took me back to when I was home and we would have lots of fresh broccoli from Dad's garden. Home grown vegetables just have more depth in flavor than those in the store.

But now there's a gaping hole where the broccoli once grew. I hope it puts out more shoots.

Payton is learning fire safety at school this week. Today she told Daddy and I three things to do if there is a fire. I was very impressed that she was able to recite what she learned so succinctly and clearly.

This weekend we bought Payton her Halloween costume. She has insisted for the last week and a half that she wants to be a pumpkin for Halloween. At first, Scott wanted to wait to buy the pumpkin costume, hoping that Payton would change her mind about what she wanted to be. But I was worried that Payton knew something I didn't and that pumpkin costumes would be all the rage this year. Target only had two left, so I bought one for Payton. Of course, Payton wanted to try it on.


3 comments:

The Hawg said...

Hey, sis, when's the last time you read Shakespeare? Shouldn't the quote be broccoli, O broccoli, where for art thou broccoli? I know it gets away from the gist of your topic, but let's not make Shakespeare roll over in his grave, O.K.

Laura said...

Are you making fun of my broccoli?!?!?!?!?!? I was singing 'O Broccoli' to the tune of O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree.

The Hawg said...

Ah. That makes sense. Wasn't making fun of the broccoli. I think it's great that you're growing it. Too bad your family doesn't know what's good.